View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default People can't understand

Boy, did BeccaP hit the mark with her post:
People really can't understand, and I wouldn't just say most people in our lives either. I think "most people can't understand" period. Becca gets the reason right too. "we all tend to filter what we're being told through our own experiences". Yes, we do and yes, it is "really annoying when they trivialize what you're dealing with".

Becca I couldn't agree with your post more. Thanks for putting it so exactly and also thanks for trying to look on the positive side and telling us how you're dealing with the situation that a lot of us find ourselves in.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaP View Post

It is so hard to accept the limitations, I struggle with the same problem and frustrations. I don't think most people in our lives can understand the emotional (and physical) stuff that goes with the brain injury. I wouldn't have without experiencing it. I am different, I can feel it and bump up against it all the time, but it is hard to explain to others when I appear so normal.

I've found that most people (close to me, I wouldn't expect it of others) don't really want to make the effort it would take to understand, they are busy with their own issues and problems. I know they love and care about me and that has to be enough. I think we all tend to filter what we're being told through our own experiences, but it's really annoying when they trivialize what you're dealing with! I don't try to explain much anymore, just am honest about what I can and can't do, and retreat as necessary.

Becca
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote