View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that there might be a difference in recovery between accidents & DDD, etc. With an accident, depending on the severity of it, the bones could be in pretty bad shape -- alot would depend on the breaks if there are any, and how CLEAN the breaks might be as far as the facets & bony structures of the spine. With DDD, usually the bones aren't broken and are easier to work with. The problems come in with osteoporosis & osteoarthritis. Osteoporosis will impede bone growth - in fact, many doctors will NOT perform surgery on a patient with osteoporosis -- count me as one of them that they won't touch. I've gone to the head of neurology of a large teaching hospital, and have been deemed "inoperable."

So I think alot depends on the reason for the fusion. But i'm just guessing. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote