View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Default The People You Leave Behind

"What if I killed myself?"

Some people might argue that talking about what happens to the people you leave behind if you kill yourself may invoke more guilt in you than you can handle. I don't believe this is true. What I do believe is that if you intend to take your own life, then you ought to know, as much as is possible, what all the consequences of such an act are, including the likely consequences to others if you succeed.

Who are the others? They are your parents, your brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles, friends and loved ones, the people at school, the people at work - literally everyone who knows you. Because no other word describes them as well, the professionals in my field have chosen to call these people victims. Survivors of suicide, they are victims because, to one degree or another, they will suffer because you have suicided. Some of them will need love and understanding to recover from the tragedy of your death. The closer they are to you, the more they will suffer. And none will suffer more than your family.

Suicide, The Forever Decision by Paul G. Quinnett

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (05-16-2011), barbo (06-05-2009), ckepi (06-16-2009), Jaime_S (06-04-2009), MandaC (06-11-2009), Mark56 (03-13-2014), Nik-key (06-04-2009), Twinkletoes (05-16-2011)