Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREMAN NICK View Post
Hey All,
Just found this site from talking to Ross. My story is have left side phrenic nerve damage for over year. Found out about month ago after many tests an to the point that my doctor said it maybe in my head. " Really" cant breath lying down, why cant I breath when I go tie shoe, my endurance very bad, not good when you are a fireman. They sent me home said live with it. I am 59 am ready to retire but not like this. In my research which only started in last few weeks as any one knows with this condition there is not many alternatives. Live with it or try very new procedures out there. Like what Ross did, or Bricko or Casey who fell off the end of world. Funny didnt hear from him after surgery if he even had it done. Bricko tell us more many people are waiting to hear. i am waiting for call from Dr Kaufaum to see if I qualify. He has only done this surgery 20 times I would say that is cutting edge. My GP thinks I should move a little slower, he dont have this problem. He says there is no documentation out there by this Doctor. Which I agree there should be some thing out by now about this procedure written by him. So confused here, If any other person had this done let talk. Thanks Nick
Hi Nick,
I just wondered if part of the phernic damage is a result of your job. The hoses are so heavy as is most equipment you used. Scar matter could have become an issues as is a stretch injury to the nerves.
The phernic nerve comes through the scalenes in the neck, I know fire guys like to keep fit by lifting weights along with all the work lifting.

This sounds like something work related. I would find someone able to recreate the symptoms to narrow down the cause.
TOS is a group of symptoms not one injury or diagx to cover all, but many individualized complex issues.

The chest wall against the ribs,, especially if you have a narrow opening between the first rib and collar bone, if there is muscle build up of the neck, a fall or injury to stretch the arm, much like zingers from football when the arm is caught and pulled back.

The inability to get a good breath also may be from the years of smoke and fumes. They damage the lungs and then when a contributing factor as the phernic nerve not getting the diaphragm going good can contribute.

Just throwing some other thoughts out there, But I would not accept one label on a complex issue/injury.

Welcome to the site there are many knowledgeable friends here with many different ways they have TOS or phernic nerve damage.
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (02-22-2011)