View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laga77 View Post
I have no intentions of filing until after I get the knee replacement. When I do it will be for more for my back problems than anything else. It is the back pain that limits how long I can stand or sit. What I need to know is, if the doctors say I need the fusion and I do not go through with it right away. Does that hurt my case ? I am not afraid of the knee replacement surgery, but I am of the fusion.

That was how I took your previous posts Laga.

That post was strictly in response to the poster who said to file now and they hoped you would be approved right away.

It shouldn't matter (not guaranteeing you that it won't, but it SHOULDN'T) that you are trying to delay the fusion.....unless you go against doctor's orders. I think you just have to wait and see how your entire situation is after the knee replacement.

My mom took Aleve for her arthritic knee but functioned well for years. She wanted to get rid of that annoying knee pain, had the replacement.....now she is in severe pain and her mobility is severely limited. This, in turn, has worsened her back issues.

Conversely, my 75 yo dad had a lumbar fusion just before he was dx'd (and beat) colon cancer. He is now back to taking 100 mile bikerides.

You know that you have the knee replacement coming up, that it takes several months to a year to recover from. You may find that when you recover from that surgery, your overall condition may be much better....or much worse than you feel right now.

I do want you to understand though that if you are still working that supervisory job now, and plan to for another few weeks, then you are not totally disabled per SSA right now.

I understand that you do not have the ability to do your 'regular' job, but you do have to ability to do A job. It doesn't matter to SSA that when this supervisory gig is over if all you can do is be a Walmart greeter (where you could sit in a wheelchair or stand as needed) and that is much less money than you are used to.....it's still a job. Prepare yourself for that.....and see how you feel after getting the knee done. It may cause less stress on your body which will help your back or (hopefully not) things could go the other way.

Best of luck.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote