View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default My gut reaction? Don't do it unless it's a LAST resort!

1]Many insurances don't cover it unless all else proves inconclusive...and then the probability of infection is highly increased due to the procedure.
Here is an option of IVIG? From one PLAN: criteria? Read!
http://www.tuftshealthplan.com/provi...e_Globulin.pdf
Just 'web up' Sural Nerve Biopsy And learn about the pros and cons of it being done... Con's are it's PERMANENT DAMAGE? Prone to infection, due to the neuropathy aspect. Pro? IF IF IF handled correctly that nerve biopsy can be a deterimate for diagnosis and disability.
When I was approached to have it done? It was not by my normal Neuro? It was one a 'second opinion' was from...but? He seemed too eager to do it? Almost as if to get it under his 'belt' before this procedure was no longer allowed. I argued with him politely about this so he referred me to his 'mentor', the neuro dept head of a different teaching university from the one I'd been diagnosed from? Guess what? That Head off the bat, said, I've got XXXX And I should be confined to a wheelchair to get the therapy I'd been getting! I responded: I'd met 7 of 9 major insurance criteria for diagnosis and treatment. The fact that I am NOT in a wheelchair is testament to correct treatment Don't you THINK? I believe this 'head' has begun to rethink his thoughts on diagnostics? And is publishing to that 'rethinking'. Good for him? GREAT for US in the long run!
Lastly? I declined the biopsy, because I HOPE and at times feel than some parts are HEALING! If that's cut off? It's a NO go.. no how. I got the Diagnosis w/o this biopsy, but, others do not have such an easy path.
My heart is with you with whatever your decision --- just be sure it IS truly informed? I mean, do you jump off into ANY POOL? Not knowing how deep it mite be? Same thing in some ways...only both if gone wrong, can be permanent. Me? I'd like to leave the door open... look into 'punch' biopsies here and at Johns Hopkins! Hugs and good things! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote