View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default e-mail to Michael J Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
I recently sent this email to someone newly diagnosed with PD.
Hello---do you have an e-mail address in which I could send an e-mail that would possibly go directly to Michael J Fox? Thanks for any info. Hutch
--------------
I was 51 when diagnosed in January 2003. I had a tremor in one finger, did not swing my left arm when I walked, and lost my sense of smell 20 years before. When an MRI came up clear (no tumor) I got the diagnosis of parkinson’s.

I went through months of angst and denial – but the diagnosis was correct (unfortunately). But you can help yourself. This does NOT have to be as terrible as you fear. Here are some things I’ve learned in dealing with this disease, and for your health – I recommend you start them now:
I think I wrote my reply in the wrong place---sorry. My question is: Do you have an e-mail address which will get to Michael J Fox directly? Thank you for any info you can give me. Hutch

There is a lot of evidence that EXERCISE can help – so an overweight couch potato like me now walks, swims and bikes (nearly) every day. Do anything – everything you can do starting NOW: yoga, tai chi, weight training, walk, treadmill, bike, etc etc – every day – do as much as you can and start now. While there is nothing proven to slow the progression, exercise may help, plus there are supplements and foods that have shown that they may help (eat/take them now):

• Dark berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberies, etc)
• Dark grape juice
• Curcumin supplements (an ingredient of curry) has shown to be very good for the brain
• Coenzyme Q10 in mega doses may slow the progression – try to take 1200mg per day
• Eat broccoli (!)

IF you get a PD diagnosis, the NIH is looking for people with early PD – not on PD medication yet. Whatever the diagnosis – do NOT let doctors start you on pd medications until you think about clinical trials. There are trials going on right now for substances that may be neuroprotective. (I have participated in 5 trials so far…)

www.pdtrials.org
www.clinicaltrials.gov

here is a bulletin board for people with pd –http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Hi---Do you have an e-mail address that would allow me to send an e-mail that would get to Michael J fox. I just want to let him know how much I admire and appreciate all his work he is doing and let him know how much he has helped me to continue fighting my many battles with other neurological diseases. Thank you for any info you can give me. hutch
hutch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Arsippe (07-15-2012)