View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default PN due to antibiotic use Flagyl

Hi I am new to this. I am scared because I have been having some numbness and weakness in my right foot. Finally got in to see a neurologist. She did a test on my feet EMG I think, shocks and needles to measure the conductivity of my nerves. She said my conductivity in both feet are slow. She did a whole batch of blood tests (I have not gotten the results back yet). But she said something about maybe CIDP but said not to worry until i get the blood results back. I mentioned to her that this all started after I started taking Flagyl for a BV infection. I stopped the Flagyl after about 7 days when I noticed the numb foot and pain in the foot after googling the drug and seeing rare side effect of Peripherial Nerve damage. My regular doctor thought I was crazy and wasn't on the Flagyl long enough to cause PN. But I swear, this all started after I started the meds. Has anyone else ever experienced PN after taking Flagyl for short term? How will i know if the Flagyl caused damage or if I have some disease like CIDP? She said we could do a nerve biopsy which I am against because I would have permanent numbness on the place where they took out the nerve. I am really scared and not sure how to proceed. She doesn't think MS because it is bilaterial (i don't have any symptoms in my left foot...just my right). Can the EMG test be done incorrectly so that she is getting incorrect readings on my nerves?
chirpybirdy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote