View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What!!!!!!????

Dr Oaklander states: and I quote:

Every other published study of CRPS has reported a mean age at CRPS onset of about 40. I draw attention to a study by Veldman and colleagues2 of 829 patients with CRPS that was published in the Lancet in 1993. Patients' average age was 42 years, and the most common duration of CRPS was 2 to 6 months (in 242 patients). Only 28% of patients had CRPS lasting longer than 1 year.

NOW - My husband suffered from RSD in his leg from 1995 thorough present - That would be....12 years so far - Although I will state - that the symptoms have decreased dramatically and he is somewhat functional (leg-wise) with a brace and continued at home exercise. ALSO - He developed RSD (in that leg) at the ripe old age of 25.

The age thing is not what really bothers me here - It is the statement that based on 829 patients the Dr states that only 28% had CRPS for more then one year - Really??? Now how many people in this country are affected with this? Let alone the world suffer from CRPS? I believe that one study based on a mear 829 patients is hardly "significant evidence" to support what the dr claims as fact. Just with the people I personally know who are close to me with RSD my husband has had this for 12 years, a friend of my mothers 4+, and another friend of ours over 1 year (occured in her early 30's) - that would be..................oh you guess.........100%????

Maybe were just wierd here in Wisconsin - Or it's the water or something but I believe the dr is not real accurate with the facts and figures here and might want to do a little more research and some more studies before spouting off numbers like that.

Dont get me wrong here - I would LOVE to see REAL numbers like that, but the fact is, is it's just not true.

HubbyWithRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote