View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The Freestyle light comes from Abbott... You have to fill out a form on their site. Abbott does NOT require an RX for the meter. They mail it to your home, and it takes about 2 weeks to come.
But to join their discount plan for the strips you do need an RX.
The Freestyle comes with 10 free strips to get you started. (I think they want to steal One Touch customers)

The One Touch is similar, but they do not send the unit to you...
only an Email coupon. The email coupon took 3 weeks to come to me! You take this with an RX from your doctor to the pharmacy for the free unit. (kit)
The One Touch DOES NOT have free strips with it.

But both are available now free.

In the store I priced One Touch and CVS, Target and WalMart all had them under $20. The mini types now are quick and easy to use. The more expensive meters have computer hook up to send results to the doctor directly or to help you log them.
I am logging in a notebook. Severe diabetics or those with an insulin pump who have to adjust insulin at mealtimes, do better with the more elaborate meter.

For type II's the mini's should be adequate.

My son had an attack of prostatitis and his doctor said doxycyline is enough for most, because it reduces inflammation.

Doctors vary in their approach to treating type II. My doctor has been watching me for 3 years more closely, and since I am very strict with sugar and carbs, she's held off with treatment.
But now she has become more aggressive with it. When I hit 140 fasting, that was IT.

Sometimes when patients have so many problems, doctors can become numb to an emerging other one. So watch for this.
Your alternative is to see an endocrinologist who monitors diabetics all the time, and has more experience with it.

Your doctor may think your infections are contributing. And maybe they are. Or not? I can see already on the new medication I "feel" more energetic. So those mild elevated sugars were wearing me down.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote