View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm with Gabby - get more opinions.

I currently get low dose ketamine infusions (I've had 34 to date) and they have definitely changed my life for the better. My RSD was pretty much everywhere by the time I started the treatments, and I was perhaps 3 and a half years into the illness. I had previously responded favorably to lidocaine infusions, which was considered a positive indicator that ketamine would work for me.

I understand that the sooner you start ketamine in your illness, the better the chance that it will work for you. But there are still reports of ketamine working for people that have had RSD for a long time - but their best shot at a good prognosis is with the 10 day treatment. FMichael has posted a link to the article where this data is reported, it is in an article written by Dr. Robert Schwartzman in 2010 (also available in the medical archives at RSDS.org)

Dr. Philip Getson took care of me in Marlton, NJ for my first 22 infusions. He offers the 10 day low dose outpatient protocol that Dr. Schwartzman advocates. He works with insurance companies and his patients on the $$ end of things. I really loved him. I would be happy to provide you with his contact info. Getson waited for months for my insurance company to pay him and his office never harrassed me...he is truly an awesome man.

Once you start the infusions, you generally need to keep getting them in order to "hold" their effect. In other words, ketamine wears off. I am presently getting my treatments about once a month, 2 days in a row, 200 mg each. It has been 10 months since I started. I am back to work on a FT basis after a year's sick leave. I would like to start spreading the time out between infusions at some point to see if I can go longer, but I am terribly afraid of getting sick again and missing work...this month I am actually going 5 weeks...

From what I have heard, Kirkpatrick wants $2500 a day, cash, up front. And then you need to file for insurance reimbursements, if any, on your own. If insurance isn't covering the cost of the treatments, the expense to your family could be significant compared to the benefits.

I am so sorry that your daughter is going through this at such a young age. The very best of luck to you.

xoxox Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byates View Post
My daughter has full body RSD. She is 18yrs old. It has taken us 10 yrs to get a diagnoses. The rsd is now everywhere. We went to Dr Kirkpatrick in Tampa Fl. He recommended the 3 day hose dose Ketamine treatment. She is sheduled to do the treatment next month. Has anyone had the treatment and if so how good of results did you get and how long did they last:
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gabbycakes (02-25-2011)