View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default GF for 8 months after being sick for 18 years....

Hi, I was diagnosed in July and went immediately GF. I had first starting quitting jobs 17 years ago when I was 32 due to severe IBS, having taken off for months and years at a time during which I could barely walk out my door bc my IBS was so severe. About 5 years ago, I started noticing that my short term memory was getting very bad. I would repeat myself in conversations, and not remember what I was being told within the context of the same conversation.

I started struggling for words at points in time whereas, I had always previously been a word master. Then, about a year ago, my speech started getting slurred. I had instances like the news reporter had last week, wherein I would suddenly become incoherent or, sound like a robot with it's batteries running down. Another problem that I had had and caused me to have to stop working at times - aside fr my IBS - was that I could never rebound from any cold, flu or, virus. Even minor colds would put me down for a month or, two. I caught a stomach virus about 3 years ago. Everyone else was off work for 1-2 weeks, I was off work for over a year. And, that is what happened again in June. I caught a stomach virus, everyone else was off for a week. Mine turned into colitis and prompted my CD diagnosis, finally.

Instantly, my IBS went away as soon as I stopped eating gluten, but that gone, I nonetheless fell into an abyss. I had historically taken several vitamins a day. My doctor instructed me to go off all of them. I literally fell in bed and couldn't even take care of my daily needs for about 5 months until I finally realized my doctor was wrong and began taking my supplements again - the ones I had historically taken - and now, I've added more based upon what I've read is best in treating the pheripheral neuropathy and the brain fog I have had. At my worse, I couldn't even spell the word, word, about 3 months ago.

Now, after beginning all these supplements, I am making strides and seeing some recovery. I think I have beginning Trigeminal Neuralgia, also. One side of my face will swell. I have some shooting pains in my face, electrical headaches at points in time and my facial skin is exceedingly dry. It sloughs off when wet and nothing I put on it helps. It used to burn all the time and turn bright red. It has stopped doing that. I do light massage and focus on the pressure points in my face for this. I have also found Qigong to be helpful in stimulating energy flow in the back of my neck, which used to feel swollen and like I literally had a board attached to each side of my neck, but now, does not.

So, I am taking -

Pantothenic Acid 1000mg
Amino Complex with B-6
EPA 1000mg
Vitamin K1 50mg
P-5-P 50mg
Potassium 595mg
Ascorbic Acid 1000mg
Zinc 50mg
Magnesium 500mg
Calcium 2000mg
Vitamin E with Selenium 400iu
D-3 5000iu
Vitamin A 8000iu
Centrum Daily
Stresstabs
Bromelain 500mg
Papaya with additional enzymes

Looks like a lot, I know.

I know that I am still not absorbing fatty acids bc my doctor has told me I'm low and I can eat them all day and still be low. They are the one thing that upsets my stomach at this point in time and gives me my old IBS symptoms.

I do not have insurance so, I am trying to go all of this alone.

Does anyone have any advice for me. I am still very worried about my face - not just out of vanity, but bc it still hurts and stings and the appearance is getting very bad. (How many layers of skin can I lose?) It's beginning to take on a burnt appearance. And, I still often feel like I can't concentrate. Like I'm just closeted off into myself and like my verbal skills are still not what they should be.

I am currently sticking pretty much to a paleo-diet. All grains give me reactions and I recently found that corn, gives me 'glutened' reactions, too. I seem to have a bit of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity going on. Fibro that is most often triggered by breathing in gluten and other chemicals. I am off gluten, processed sugars, corn, soy and dairy, save hard cheese and Greek yogurt.

I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints.

Thank you.
aderifield is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote