View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
Who can know for sure? I don't think enough is known about celiac disease yet. People with DH are celiac, and they often times do not have flattened villi...how do we explain that?

If I were you, I would request a celiac panel be done. This will give you your IGG and IGA levels, plus your gene makeup and blood work. This could help you make up your mind too.

A gluten free diet can not hurt anyone. If you want to test the theory, then go gluten free and see what happens. I take 3000 mcgs of B12 methylcobalamin and my level is lower now than it was 3 yrs ago when I was taking 1000mcgs. Problem for me is, I was never tested for B12 before I started taking supplements, so we will never have a true level for me. I think I am not absorbing my B12 properly, even though my tests show a level of 1015. My iron was never terribly low, not to my knowledge. My sisters was so low, they told her she would need iron transfusions once a month for the rest of her life. Gluten free has changed that for her, no transfusions any more.

B12 deficiency is a very strong part of gluten intolerance. Gluten in a celiac/gluten intolerant's body changes so many things.
A little off subject, I know, but I love your quote, Deb. My doctors were driving me crazy telling me none of what is wrong with me is interrelated. I thought I was going to lose my mind until I realized they were wrong - everything that's wrong with me is related to long-term deficiences and malabsorption associated with my Celiac Disease.
aderifield is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote