Thread: Prolotherapy
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Prolotherapy may be helpful for a joint issue since it is focused on antagonizing or irritating an area thus causing the body to put effort into healing that area.

The same concept is often at work with arthroscopic knee surgery. I had knee surgery twice with both times nothing found to repair so nothing was done. After both times, my knees were much better. The explanation is simple. The surgery antagonized the body in that location causing a increase in healing effort. This combined with the two weeks rest of the knee allows the body to accomplish worthwhile healing.

Alternating cold and heat on a joint can cause the same kind of healing action. The cold decreases swelling which can slow blood flow then the heat increases circulation to improve healing.

I can not see any way that prolotherapy would help with neurological concussion symptoms. The headaches that result from muscle tension or joint injuries may be helped but not the cognitive or memory problems.

carmell, No matter how much you believe in full recovery from concussion, it is not so. You may achieve an appearance of a full functional recovery but your brain will never be the same. The next concussion will be more damaging that the previous.

Brain stress will cause a return of concussion symptoms to every concussion sufferer. The magnitude of the return of symptoms will be dependent on the original injury and the level of brain stress. What this means is every concussion sufferer needs to be aware of their brain's need to be protected from another impact and/or from the stresses that can cause a return of symptoms.

I am not saying prolotherapy will not work, just that its benefit is in increasing healing to joints and muscle/tendon like injuries.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-20-2013)