View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is an interesting question. I recently discovered that my 16 yr old daughter's biological father was receiving SSI for a disability and had been receiving it for about 7 or 8 years. He is an "absent" parent, and I have not pursued child support. I did apply for her SSI benefits through him, and was originally told that it would be "back dated" because he did inform them on his application. I was also given a dollar amount of around $500 a month, but was surprised when it actually came out to be $103 a month. I was told that this was because he had received Workers Compensation (and still might be) benefits so they offset it.

I guess what I don't understand is how it would affect the benefits to her. I would think that they would give her the benefit amount that is allowed for her and offset it from the amount he receives. The question I have is - does it sound like he is receiving benefits via Workers Comp for her? If so, how do I contact Workers Comp to find out or "apply" for her benefits? Supporting her has never been an issue until our car accident and my many surgeries. Right now, we are getting by because our home is paid off and the auto insurance is paying benefits for attendant care to my husband. He is having to take care of me and help me with my doctor's appointments, etc. Is it worth looking into or do I just let it ride?

Also, since I received PIP benefits from my auto (loss wage replacement) will this be used to offset the amount of SSI benefits I could be approved for? My application for SSI is back dated to the original date of my "disability". I could call my attorney, but I hate talking on the phone right now because my words are funky, thought process funky and I have a horrible, horrible dry mouth.

Thanks for the help in advance
Patti_Christmas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote