Thread: pain pump
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up pump information...

AJ,

The manufacturer of the pump you are getting should have adequate information available for you to review. I was given a detailed explanation about every step of the process and was provided a video tape from Medtronic about the pump, before my trial. Before making my final decision I still had many questions and they took time to address my concerns. As it turned out the pump was a good thing for me because it has improved my situation. The pump has been in for just over two years now and the benefits far outweigh other factors to this point.

My advice to you is that if your medical providers are not giving enough information to allow you to make an informed decision, you should ask more questions and insist on answers until you are satisfied within reason. Nothing is 100% and you should not expect the pump to be the end all solution to your pain. However, if carefully thought out, and both you and your medical team feel that you will benefit and be better off - go for it! (I'm glad I did.)

I don't like to get into specifics of surgery, recovery, etc., because we are all individuals. My telling you my story only states what happened with me. The next person could have a totally different experience, so don't place too much hope there. Also remember that after the pump is implanted it will take time to get the medication titrated to the point that you get optimal relief.

Last but not least, make sure that the surgeon performing your surgery has losts of experience in pump implantation. Don't be a study case in inexperienced hands. There is a lot riding on the outcome of your surgery!

Please feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance to you.

Take care,

EJ

EJK from the old BrainTalk forum
kejbrew is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote