View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A tortured trail of successful SCS outcome...

I may be the only(?) that has had both the Medtronic and Boston Scientific SCS systems implanted.
I have been suffering a pinched L5 nerve for several years. The Doctor's and I have a good idea of where it is most likely pinched, there is no conclusive evidence via an MRI. Over the years before I had SCS implanted I tried just about all the different procedures from injections to nerve ablation with no result.
In February 2009 I had the Medtronics Ultra Restore implanted after a very successful trial. The therapy delivered probably saved my life - we all know the battles with chronic pain....
Everything was going quite well until March of 2010. One of the leads got bunched up and required revision surgery. Starting in November of 2010 I started having a deep pain that -to me - felt like it was coming from my spine. As the month progressed it became a bit worse and knew it was time to see a new Surgeon (I had lost faith in the first one) . About a week before my appointment I had several attachs of a deep indescribably pain that just froze me in place and speechless for les than a minute. Ended up at the ER. The x-ray showed one of the two leads had dropped three inches and the excess wire was pushing up against my spine and probably pushing on the Central Rami that runs down the back of the spine. At the ER they were able to move the wire just pushing gently on my back so the lead was no longer on top of that area.
Several days later I had the entire system explanted. Then I had to wait 30 days for the surgery to heal completely. My new Surgeon implanted the Boston Scientific system via a small laminoctomy on February 3, 2011.
My initial feeling is they both provide - for me - very good relief. I find a large part of the success is the how the "buzzing" acts as a distraction from the pain has much as decreasing the pains overall intensity.
It's only three weeks with the new but already know the pluses and minuses of each companies system. I will be posting more about my experience with the Boston Scientific and explain what I see as the differences in the products.
If anyone has questions I will do my best to answer - but please be patient..
Johnfjr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote