View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy.girl View Post
Can I ask why you did not try a DMD? Are you still able to walk?
In 1985 there were no DMDs. Betaseron was the first DMD to become available to the general MS population in 1993...by lottery. I did have a lottery number. At the time there were alot of unknowns about Betaseron since it was the first of it's kind. As my number came up I decided to wait and see.

Through the years I have simply decided I prefer to take my chances with the disease. I, personally, do not believe these drugs work as well as we are lead to believe. The disease is still not understood and I often wonder how is it possible to effectively treat a disease under those circumstances.

I don't walk right but I do walk and unaided for the most part.

However, I do like and use trekking poles when I will be out doing a lot of walking. My balance sucks and always has, trekking poles help to compensate and helps my endurance.

My thoughts and opinions on the DMDs are just that...thoughts and opinions. Not everyone will have my experience.

To use or not use a DMD is a personal choice and neither choice is wrong. Do what you feel is best for you. The choice you make is the one you feel the most comfortable with and the path that leads to the least regrets
daisy.girl (02-28-2011), dmplaura (02-28-2011), Kitty (02-28-2011)