View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Kitty,

My big sister died at age 37 of a brain aneurysm, my mom had strokes starting in her early 70s then later had alzheimer's. I'm going to give this a shot and if I don't have side effects I'll stick with it until I can get my life under control as far as diet, rest and exercise. Right now working on my MBA means I have to sit and study a lot too.

MrsD, I already take CoQ10.

I'm taking the generic Zocor btw. It cost me $2.14 with my insurance for a one month supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Doesn't Niacin help reduce cholesterol?

I've been eating lots of oatmeal, too, and it really has done me a lot of good. That, along with a good diet and little to no salt works well for me.

Wiz, you don't need to lose any weight, though. Yours could be genetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Long acting Niacin does work, some. But it is hard on the liver and also raises blood sugar for some.

At 244, that is not so terrible.

At least consider replacing the CoQ-10 you lose to the Zocor, with a supplement. This will protect your heart and mitochondria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE

We won't be hearing much about LDL etc cholesterol in the near future. Lipitor and Crestor will be generic...no more ads. And the new HDL drug by Merck will replace all the statins. It is in the pipeline now.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...22042020101117

Another simple thing that can lower LDL is psyllium fiber (Metamucil). Twice a day one tablespoonful.

There are studies showing people live longer with higher cholesterol. It is thought to be due to improved immune functions. Also the molecule in the skin that makes Vit D for us during sun exposure is cholesterol based.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (02-28-2011), dmplaura (02-28-2011), Kitty (02-28-2011)