Thread: Morphine?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Basically the long acting products with opiates do not last what they say they will. I wouldn't expect a 12 hr. release. Neither does your doctor. Hence he gave you breakthru meds.

The next size up is 30mg/tablet for this product.

Give it two more days, to reach steady-state. If you don't see any improvement by then start your pain journal again.

Well, so my morphine still isn't working much, if at all. I spent all day yesterday unable to leave my chair, even to use the restroom- my son had to help carry me to the toilet. (Quite embarrassing, I feel as if I've hit a new low!)

I'm taking the 15mg morphine sulfate twice a day, usually like 10 am and 10pm (ish), 50mg Ultram twice a day, usually around 11am and pm, and then 1000mg tylenol and 800mg ibuprofen every 4 hours, alternating by 2hrs between the tylenol and ibuprofen.
I usually sit on heating pads, which has been a help, but I've also tried this weekend to put the heat on my lower back, and then sit on an ice pack for awhile (until it melts) which has been some relief temporarily.

I called the doctor's office today, and they say to give the morphine until Thursday- a full week- and to take up to 1000mg tylenol 4x a day. When I explain that I already am, and the ibuprofen, they say 'We'll ask the doctor again and call you back". I would gladly go in to the office, return all of the meds he gave me and take a blood test or whatever to show that I have been taking everything as instructed so far and so they can see that I don't want to keep the morphine for some other purpose- but it is NOT WORKING!
And then it occurs to me, part of the reason he put me on morphine is because on hydrocodone, I was taking too much tylenol each day, but now they are advising me to take tylenol??? I'm sure this had to be a suggestion of the nurse speaking, rather than being relayed from the doctor himself...

I guess I didn't realize how much worse my pain could be.

How long does this garbage really take to begin working????
72daywmn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote