View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi daniella,
It's exacerbating your health in a lot of ways you may or may not be aware of - It's gotta stop. Easier said than done? Indubitably. There are facets you cannot control (or cannot contol easily) and there are facets you can control, and it's on these that you should focus. Help is out there, whether from your therapist, support group, support network, or out on the web. Help, yes, but no-one can do it for you - you must do it for yourself and for those who care about you. I can't tell you exactly what to do or what will work for you; I can tell you what usually works for me:
http://tinyurl.com/2c642oa
There is a lot of excellent advice here. I do reasonably well following it except for being able to supress the guilt of not contributing more than I do and in being able to laugh more. For a long time I was even snippy with people and this made laughter much more improbable. It can be hard to be in pain and socialize normally especially if you never did a lot of socializing in the first place.

The terror of this disease is just pervasive. There's always the thought in the back of your mind that you didn't really do anything to get here and the slightest slip can cause symptoms to worsen horribly and even permanently.

But we do have to get out there and do as much as humanly possible and stay as active as we can or we'll atrophy away much faster. For me this requires that I find things I enjoy and continue to do the things that I always enjoyed even if I can't do them well. Hobbies are critical even if it's just reading. If holding a book is hard then read books on the net. As the person in the link said; modify. Make the adjustments necessary to continue to lead as normal a life as possible.

For me this is mostly about trying not to dwell on the dangers. Being as careful as possible tends to help this a little.

Learn your triggers and avoid stress.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (03-02-2011), Jenna Delaney (03-04-2011)