View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Caya:

At the doses recommended for cough suppression in an adult or a child over 12, 2 tsp. every 6 to 8 hours, it is clearly not advisable to use these dextromethorphan preparations while taking an MAO inhibitor. Eldepryl (selegeline) and Azilect (rasagiline) are examples of MAO inhibitors. There are others, and other preparations which may contain MAO inhibitors. If you are concerned, consult your pharmacist.

For the possible neuroprotection it may provide, I take 1/2 tsp or slightly less of the syrup containing 15 mg. of dextromethorphan HBr/ tsp (aiming for 5 to 7.5mg) once right before turning in for the night. If you can find it, there is a product prepared for children called Simply Cough which contains 5 mg./tsp. It is easier to measure the 5 mg. per dose that way. The 5 to 7.5 mg. dose is very low, less than 1/4th of the dose recommended for cough, and it is taken only once per 24 hrs.

Please understand that I am NOT recommending that you take this drug. It is a personal experiment done at my own risk. Because it has been used for more than 50 years with no problems at much higher doses, I think the risk of adverse effects are minimal.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote