View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, I have experienced this many times. We purchased a car only after driving it across railroad tracks to see how much motion was transmitted to the seats.

When I know the road is bumpy, I reduce the impact to my head by sitting forward. If my back is not against the seat back, it can absorb the impacts much better.

I learned this technique riding roller coasters. I love roller coasters but some just shake too much, primarily the wooden type. If I sit with my back off the seat back, my upper body can absorb a great amount of the vibration.

I experienced a serious jarring driving back from skiing at our local ski area. (Bogus Basin) The last 10 miles get rutted with ice and can be brutal. The road up to the mountain also has 156 sharp turns. Between the two, I have determined that getting to this ski area is more than my brain can handle. Too bad because I can see the ski area from my front porch.

Hunching your shoulder forward also helps a bit but not as well as sitting away from the seat back. The curve in the upper spine helps absorb a lot of impact forces. If your seat has a recline feature, you can move the seat back a bit so you can sit with less contact. This can be tiring, especially if you need to hold onto the steering wheel to stay upright but it helps immensely.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote