View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had MS for 30 years. Back when I was working I worked nearly nonstop. Nowadays I work nearly nonstop at just taking care of my daily life's details.

I get up every day at 7 AM, make breakfast, feed the cat, comb and brush her, dress, make the bed, wash dishes, tend to the cat's box. Then I get on with whatever I have to do that day.

Sometimes it's a medical or dental appointment. This can take many hours because of the waits for transportation. I use a paratransit van system and have to schedule rides a day or more in advance.

Other times it's laundry, ironing, cleaning the bathroom, washing the floors, dusting, vacuuming. I take care of a few plants too.

Sometimes I have to change light bulbs or do repairs. Other times I have to do what I can to get rid of the ants around here. I have a toilet that backs up often, and I take care of that with a snake and a plunger but it's a procedure that can take an hour or so.

I make a salad for lunch, and after eating it and washing up the dishes, I take the trash out to the dumpster and get the mail and deal with it. Then I go to sleep with my feet elevated (to prevent swollen ankles/feet) for about an hour.

I brush and floss my teeth every time I eat--and that is 4 times a day. I try to take a bath every day and wash my hair every few days. I also have to set my hair for it to look halfway presentable. I cut my own hair every month or so.

I mend my clothes if they develop problems. In my spare time I'm patching up the quilt that has been my bedspread for many years.

In the rest of my spare time I listen to Talking Books from the library and sometimes watch a DVD movie from Netflix while I eat popcorn I've made in the microwave.

I write letters and try to keep up with my accounting. I'm responsible to HUD and the social services system (Medicaid) and have to save and present lots and lots of receipts.

In the late afternoon I make dinner, which is usually a frozen meal I put into the oven or just cook on top of the stove. Then I wash the dishes and put them away at the end of the day.

About once a week I wait for a grocery delivery from an online supermarket home-delivery system. Prescriptions are also delivered. I buy most things through mail-order but sometimes take the paratransit van to a store to find things I need or want.

Sometimes I take photos. I spend a good bit of time online. I'm also busy clearing out a lot of papers I've saved over the years.

Evenings are the times when I work on the papers or watch a movie.

I also exercise--a few minutes every morning and at bedtime, and half an hour in the evening with an exercise DVD.

I'm off to sleep by about 11.

I don't go very many places but that is all right with me. Buzzing around can be tiring.

This whole account doesn't add up to much. I should mention that when I have occasional work to do, I put everything on a back burner until I get the job done. This happens once every few years.

I keep track of my medicines and set them up for each week. I also have to remember to do eye drops and oral moisturizers and other maintenance tasks. My wheelchair, glasses and hearing aids need regular routine attention too.

Just trying to stay afloat can take lots of time and energy.

MS diagnosed 1980. Type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, osteopenia.
Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Currently: Glatopa (generic Copaxone), 40mg 3 times/week, 12/16/20 - 3/16/24
agate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
daisy.girl (03-03-2011), dmplaura (03-03-2011), SallyC (03-03-2011)