View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Rapid Progression of SFN

Question for all you knowledgeable folks from a newbie: Is it normal for Small Fiber Neuropathy to progress from no symptoms to high level of pain, tingling, major symptoms within 2 months?

I did notice a tiny problem with both toes when sheets touched them about 6 months ago (toes felt weird), but on 1/4/11 had pedicure and had pain in entire procedure. Been treated by podiatrist since then and he did a skin biopsy on 2/1 which showed 3.4 fibers (positive for moderate neuropathy). Now one month later symptoms are much worse, and now include some motor functions including overall unsteadiness on feet (using a cane to help). Getting nerve conduction test next week.

I am a 49 year old female, diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic 9 years ago, but sugar levels have been in controlled range always. I know that diabetic neuropathy is usually large fiber, not small fiber. I also have Hypothyroidism for 20 years and took statins for 20 years. In fact, Dr. increased my pravastatin last year - doubled dose. So I know any of those things could be the cause of the SFN.

Does it matter what the cause is?

Help with both questions would be appreciated!

Brenda
Atlanta, Georgia
brendaingram is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote