Thread: Working
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Renee, it's kind of a trick question, in my opinion.

As legalmania posted, SSA's official stance is that you MAY qualify even if you are currently working, but I think it's important to consider their definition of disability....the inability to engage in any substantial gainful work activity http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redboo...sability.htm#6 . I think most jobs that contribute enough to your household finances would be a red flag to them that you are able to work.

Truthfully, the long waiting period for approval is financially devasting for many people on SSDI. Those who "can't wait" and go back to SGA, in my opinion, just proved that they are not totally disabled. Remember SSDI is for those who CAN"T do SGA, not for those who have a physical or mental impairment that would find it easier if they didn't have to work.

SSA's definition of SGA is: Work is “substantial” if it involves doing significant physical or mental activities or a combination of both. For work activity to be substantial, it does not need to be performed on a full-time basis. Work activity performed on a part-time basis may also be substantial gainful activity.

If you were only able to do a job for a few hours and it was menial in nature, that might pass their standard.

Another thing to consider is if you try to go back to work and it doesn't work out, because you are unable to fulfill the job requirememnts for long because of your disability, that MIGHT help your claim.

I understand this is a tough spot to be in.....best of luck working through this.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote