View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I am still parenting my parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Sharilyn-

I am being forced to reexamine a large part of my life, not all of it pleasant, and renew the acquaintance of some old ghosts thought dead. The idea of the PD personality did not spring full blown from the forehead of any of us, but we do share certain traits at a higher level than the general population.

I wonder if the general umbrella of "childhood stress induced traits" would cover much of it? Hypervigilance would be one of mine. An aversion to anger and a powerful self-control, as well. And an ability to "read" others' emotions. Survival tools when you are young. Do those fit you in some form?
Interesting, Rick. I can say that I have an alcoholic parent who I am still parenting. When he is sober, he says very little. When he is drunk, he says too much. Moondaughter hits it...no boundaries. Needless to say, my father, who also has a tremor (PD never emerged), doesn't know of my diagnosis though I need him now more than ever. I am that vigilant child again looking out for him... Is this what happens to me for protecting my father's fragile emotional state?

In this regard I do have that "classic PD" personality trait, but here is where we differ. Instead of avoiding novelty, I embraced it. I feared it, mind you, yet I embraced it. When most people were married and having kids, I was quitting a professional position and gallivanting off to Paris at the ripe age of 32...married at 33! <gasp>. Divorced. First child at age 41. I have done just the opposite of what was expected of me.

Rick, I think your theory is sound, I just want to point out that being reserved or non-risk taking as a expression of PD doesn't fit for all of us. Rather we should look to expression of extremes. Novelty seeking vs. stability; they are just sides of the same coin. Our personalities are just as imbalanced as the rest of us. Funny, though all the while I was chasing baguettes, I was yearning really for a stable, reliable partner, someone I could depend on, yet no one would have ever guessed it because I didn't even know that is what I needed and wanted...

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Floridagal (03-05-2011), moondaughter (03-04-2011)