View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I see that this is an old post, but I will chime in on the EMDR and PTSD. My son was about 9 when he was abused and witnessed abuse of his class mates in a before/after school child care center.

After many years of traditional therapy, medications, phsychiatrists, phsychologists, we tried the EMDR. Prior to the EMDR, my son had even attempted suicide 3 times at the age of 11!! I learned so much about PTSD and EMDR. I also learned about how dates and weather become a clue and such an important part of a patient with PTSD. Any changes in any thing was also a problem, he wanted consistency, he HATED male substitute teachers, it even took him half the school year to become comfortable and trust the teachers!

We found a therapist that was trained in EMDR, checked out her references, checked her out through the hospital he had stayed in after the attempts. It worked!!!! With her help, he even managed to come off the medications!

My son is now 17 years old. He is more responsible than many adults in their mid 20s. He may appear to have an "old soul" at times, but that is understandable. I am so fortunate and glad that we found out about EMDR, as it is a wonderful thing!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (03-04-2011)