View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 3 Days Post Op from ACDF

Hi all,

I had my anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (levels C5 C6, C7) on March 2nd, and after 3 days I'm doing okay. I was discharged out of the hospital WAY too soon (not my choice, we have a shortage of beds here in Windsor, Ontario and I was able to walk to the washroom with the aid of a nurse, so I was discharged after only 1 night).

But, All in all, I'm doing ok. The pain is tolerable, still on a lot of narcs, but Im managing, the sleeping thing is horrible, I've yet to find a comfortable spot. I have tried them all. I can swallow with some difficulty, but I'm managing soft foods and light meals with the aid of ice chips and popcicles.

The pain and numbness in my hand and arm is almost completely gone (yay) and I'm feeling relief from the pain in my traps as well. I do have concern over loss of fine motor skills, but I'm hoping that is short term.

I'm very tired, which is expected, and frustrated with the collar, but I can say I'm glad I had the surgery and am on the road to recovery!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and good wishes. I will write more when I am a bit stronger.

Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote