Thread: Lack of support
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
My definition of support is just try to be understanding. Realize that I cannot do the things I used to do ~
That's good, even if a little imprecise. You don't think normies try to do that? Understanding us/how we feel is a little (little?) like trying to describe a sunset to the blind (and I've actually tried that). Do you explain to folks what you want/need/expect, or are they just supposed to know?

I don't ask any of these questions sarcastically. I ask them rhetorically to elicit some dialogue/introspection.

Something I've noticed is that when someone here on NT says/suggests something, it's recieved quite differently than when suggested by a normie, even if essentially the same. Have we become prejudiced/jaded?

Quote:
and PLEASE do not offer suggestions as to treatments as I've had them ALL done. if YOU have heard of them, so have I ~ I don't live under a rock.
I get that, but I also think it comes off as a little arrogant. I don't live under a rock either, and I try to stay current with my situation, but I sure don't know everything, and I don't really care where/from whom some suggestion comes from if it's something I can use or pass along. E.g., I'd never heard of that scrambler therapy before I posted about it the other day, and if it weren't for a normie who knew somebody, I'd have never known about/found my first CP support group many years ago.

Quote:
And unless you REALLY want to know how we are, don't ask. LOL You might get a long drawn-out diatribe of every painful spot on our body!
Yeah, I went through that phase, and watched as friends & family deserted me like rats from a sinking ship. I learned from that, and things (relationships) are much better now - even if I'm not.

My main point is, normies may not understand and never will, but it's up to us to educate them - as best we can, and as best they can understand - in order to give us the support we need/want. I have some books on disability etiquette; they were written to educate normies how to act/interact with disabled persons without offending. Something like this one:
http://www.unitedspinal.org/pdf/DisabilityEtiquette.pdf

Yet the only thing I've seen for chronic pain is things like this:
http://www.cafepress.com/+pain_warning_posters,95421429

Maybe we need to put some compassionate thought into something better; something to educate normies about supporting us the way we need, if that's possible. [As the Japanese saying goes: Fix the problem (in this case, the "support gap") - not the blame.]

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 03-06-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added [final thought]
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote