View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gums bleeding near implant during pregnancy

Hi there! I have 4 dental implants in my upper gums to secure an impanted-supported denture. I had the implants placed in July 2008 and have had the actual dentures since Spring 2009. (I had a regular upper denture for 7yrs prior to the implant surgery.)

I see my dentist 2x/year for cleaning and to check on the implants. My last check up was in Nov 2010, at which point I was approx. 2.5-3mos pregnant. My dentist told that bleeding gums are common during pregnancy and that I could even experience the bleeding in my upper gums even though there are no teeth there, but bleesing near the implants would not be uncommon nor cause for concern.

I have never had any bleeding gums during my previous 4 pregnancies or in this pregnancy...until this morning. (I am currently 32 weeks pregnant) I noticed some blood while brushing my teeth, and it did seem to come from my upper gums, perhaps near an implant. Of course, by the time I got my handheld mirror out to investigate to the source, the blood was gone.

I am wondering if this should just be contributed to the pregnancy and I should simply mention it to my dentist at my next check up in May, after the birth. Or if I should be concerned because it could have occured near a dental implant.
tbrown1025 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote