View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi tbrown,

First let me clarify something you mentioned in your post for others who may be reading this ..... dental implants are not placed in the gums. They are surgically drilled or tapped directly into the jawbone.

Bleeding gums around natural or crowned teeth is common during pregnancy. However, it is important to note that bleeding of the gums are never a sign to ignore because it indicates something unhealthy is going on. Yes, the fluctuation of the hormones can contribute to inflammation in the gum tissue which creates excessive amounts of red blood cells which means more blood volume in those areas. However, thorough daily tooth brushing and flossing will minimize the plaque, reduce the inflammation and reduce the incidence of bleeding. Also, a nutritious diet with little to no sugar and preservatives also decrease inflammation.

Bleeding gums around dental implants during pregnancy or any other time is a sign of inflammation that may or may not indicate a problem with the implant. A few things I would take notice of...

1) Are there any loose implants?
2) Is the bleeding only when you brush or do you taste blood at other times?
3) Is the denture causing excessive pressure in one area more than another?
4) Is the gum tissue inflamed, puffy, sore?
5) Could you be scraping the gum tissue with your brush causing an abrasion?
6) Is there a build up of plaque around the implant posts? Are you brushing them well enough to remove the plaque?

Depending on what is causing the bleeding, determines what needs to be done. It may be something very simple to remedy...

Look forward to hearing from you!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown1025 View Post
Hi there! I have 4 dental implants in my upper gums to secure an impanted-supported denture. I had the implants placed in July 2008 and have had the actual dentures since Spring 2009. (I had a regular upper denture for 7yrs prior to the implant surgery.)

I see my dentist 2x/year for cleaning and to check on the implants. My last check up was in Nov 2010, at which point I was approx. 2.5-3mos pregnant. My dentist told that bleeding gums are common during pregnancy and that I could even experience the bleeding in my upper gums even though there are no teeth there, but bleesing near the implants would not be uncommon nor cause for concern.

I have never had any bleeding gums during my previous 4 pregnancies or in this pregnancy...until this morning. (I am currently 32 weeks pregnant) I noticed some blood while brushing my teeth, and it did seem to come from my upper gums, perhaps near an implant. Of course, by the time I got my handheld mirror out to investigate to the source, the blood was gone.

I am wondering if this should just be contributed to the pregnancy and I should simply mention it to my dentist at my next check up in May, after the birth. Or if I should be concerned because it could have occured near a dental implant.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote