View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Chit chat, eh? Welcome to the discussion, Smokey.

Did they ever figure out the CAUSE of your vitamin B12 deficiency? Probably not. Some reasons are H Pylori infection, pernicious anemia (another autoimmune disease) and achlorhydria (which those with pernicious anemia have too). Without stomach acid, people tend to have more infections, because we need that to digest food, reduce GI tract inflammation and a host of other reasons. Without it, food putrefies in the gut. Lovely, right?

Anything that adversely effects the immune system will effect your MG, in my opinion.

I hope you'll revisit allergies with your allergist. Or possibly get a 2nd opinion. Why are you having shots for ten years, is what I'm wondering. Have you ever tried anything like Astelin? It's an antihistamine nasal spray.

I'm sorry you're having trouble working.

DF, That is a good analogy by Alice. You never know with MG what you can't do until you try to do something. It's so deceptive when you reduce your life to the simplest of things like doing dishes.

Annie
Hi AnneB3,
Well, my reg MD of 8 years told me I should see a shrink as the face pain, balance issues, etc etc must be in my head! So, I got a new Dr and within 30 days he said I had Pernicious Anemia and started B12 shots - immediate improvements! I was having hard time opening left eye, terrible pain on one side of my face etc.
So, I was thinking long term B12 deficiencies had caused all the trouble- as I was feeling a lot better most of last summer. Then winter came and some trouble started to flare again, balance, weakness - by end of day I was so tired I just wanted to lay down. Mind you I have always been an avid outdoors person, worked out etc so this was not normal aging to me...
Went to see a neuro Dr about month ago as neck was killing me, weakness terrible and breathing challenges. He ran many tests and suspected MG - blood tests came back positive so thats where we are at now...
I have had swallowing difficulties all my life and would get very tired chewing food - heck I thought I was normal - thats how everybody felt - right!
The allergy shots have been drug out thinking the face pain was sinus related - that apparently was long term B12 / MG symptoms so like many have said this disease has many faces...
Gotta run - thanks for the kind words!
Smokey
Smokey56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote