View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post

Well....damnit ! I think my state is about as far to the left as they come.....Where's my free/reduced stuff !

I'm partially kidding, because my family is doing okay financially (I mean, getting ready for kids to go to college, etc/need a new roof, and a new septic system....most of us could use more........)

I have looked into such benefits though, because when my kids graduate high school and I get divorced, I will be financially screwed. I haven't figured out how much I would have in savings, etc after dividing up all marital assets.....but just thinking about how I will afford rent/mortgage, car and insurance, utilities, and food when it is just me and my SSDI is frightening.
Cheaper to keep her and/or both of you live in the same household after the divorce. Just make sure you do not end up like Mike Douglas in the movie War Of The Roses.

On a serious note, check with your local social service department. Ask them if they have any information on all discount & free programs that involve the disabled/seniors. For some reason, the disabled are almost always lumped w/the disabled. Most if not all of these programs are unadvertised. If advertised, there will be notifications in your local newspapers and/or local TV news.
In the state I reside in, these programs seem to pop up daily.
I do get notices from time to time from my local SS department about discounts & freebies.

I'm blessed that I do not need these programs as I am financially set. However, it is good to know the awareness of the programs that your state has as most of them, income limit does not apply (when it comes to SSDI). Some I take full advantage of. Free public transportation for those who can flash their Medicare card as one example. Some days, especially in bad weather, I do not feel like driving.

Think Donald Trump..... He never uses his own money when making purchases. Love his way of thinking.
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote