View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What worked for me

might not work for everyone. I have to first stress that MRIs showed no organic spinal problems, other than not being 22 anymore. But this was my plan:

1. See an ENT who specializes in tinnitus. There aren't many. He/she will diagnose your condition by yanking your head around. It won't help much, but it will get a you a script for PT.

2. See a PT who specializes in manipulation. Mine also prescribed a few mild exercises, but her best trick was loosening my neck with mild (hand) traction and using a "wedge" to loosen the connective tissue down my back. This ended the crepitis (the scraping sound you can hear when you turn your head) and improved my posture tremendously.

3. See a massage therapist who specializes in myofascial trigger point release. That's not the same as "myofascial release"--they're not related, except in name. The words "trigger point" are key. There is no way to just stretch out or exercise a trigger point. If you can't find a therapist, get the treatment books through Amazon (sorry, can't remember the name right now).

4. See an occupational therapist. Mine helped me sit at the PC better and gave me some more stretches and exercises. Only took one session.

5. If you have TMJ, get it treated. I went to the Tufts center in Boston, which was marvelous. TMJ is highly related to neck problems. (I got an appliance to stop nightly grinding and intraoral PT to relax jaw muscles.)

6. Take out a mortgage to pay for above.
Steve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote