View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1 View Post
Hi all,

I had my anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (levels C5 C6, C7) on March 2nd, and after 3 days I'm doing okay. I was discharged out of the hospital WAY too soon (not my choice, we have a shortage of beds here in Windsor, Ontario and I was able to walk to the washroom with the aid of a nurse, so I was discharged after only 1 night).

But, All in all, I'm doing ok. The pain is tolerable, still on a lot of narcs, but Im managing, the sleeping thing is horrible, I've yet to find a comfortable spot. I have tried them all. I can swallow with some difficulty, but I'm managing soft foods and light meals with the aid of ice chips and popcicles.

The pain and numbness in my hand and arm is almost completely gone (yay) and I'm feeling relief from the pain in my traps as well. I do have concern over loss of fine motor skills, but I'm hoping that is short term.

I'm very tired, which is expected, and frustrated with the collar, but I can say I'm glad I had the surgery and am on the road to recovery!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and good wishes. I will write more when I am a bit stronger.

Cathie

Hello Cathie, Glad to hear that your surgery went well, and you have gotten relief from the pain! Dang hospital for releasing you early that's crap, must be normal procedure, oh you can manage the bathroom, now go home ugh! I hope you feel better everyday. I was really elevated in my bed Cathie, I took a large thick chaise lounge pad covered it with a sheet and put that up against my headboard and piled a lot of pillows behind and around me. The swallowing issue will get better everyday, oh yes ice chips and popsicles were great, get lots of rest it takes awhile to get the anesthesia(?)out of your system hence the tired feeling. Do you have the hard miami j collar(you will adjust after a week or so wearing it) on and did you get the extra set of pads, did your neuro say how long you have to wear it, usually at least 6-8 weeks. Did you use the donor bone Cathie? Sry too many ?'S I am happy that everything is going well for you. Take care and will talk soon, Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote