View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Back again with more questions, please

Hi everyone:

I wrote a while back re: my stenosis/sciatica and possible fusion surgery. Needless to say, I am trying to avoid the surgery and am searching for other options.

I see my pain management doc on Friday for a consult. When I called to make the appt., the nurse did indicate there were other injections they may be able to try (I've had 3 ESI's with no help). Too, I want to discuss using one of the anti-seizure meds....Lyrica, Neurontin or Topomax. I realize it's a toss-up and trial and error as to whether one gets help with the neuropathic pain when going on one of these meds. The side affects seem to be very similar. That said, I would like to try the Topomax, since it seems a "plus" with this med is weight loss? Gaining weight can't be a good thing, especially since my ability to exercise is zero to none with the pain. What do you think?

Also, I have incredible groin/thigh pain. It wakes me in the middle of the night when laying on my side with my leg bent. I suppose I am trying to straighten the leg or change position when I yell out loud with the pain I feel. My back doc doesn't feel this pain is referred from the back....however, the surgeon who replaced the hip on that side does. I cannot lift my leg to put on my pants without the groin pain and coughing is a joke! I have to brace myself to cough. BTW, we ruled out a hernia (I had a colon-resection done 3 years ago). I have to lift this leg to get it into the car, but realize the weakness is from the back. Because I have a hip replacement on the same side where I am experiencing the horrendous sciatica pain, I am so confused as to what pain is what (and, apparently, so are the docs). I see my hip surgeon on the 22nd and, if all looks good on x-ray, I have to insist on further testing for muscle/ligament/tendon issues.

Sigh.....

Have any of you had horrible groin/thigh pain due to degenerative disk disease and stenosis...along with the sciatica pain/tingling and numbness in the foot?

I really need one of these docs to listen...really listen...to me. When you have one telling you one thing and the other telling you another thing, it tends to get old! I might mention that I haven't consulted with a neurosurgeon yet. I am searching my options at pain management first.
Speaking of which, are any of you familiar with the Axia lif procedure? A minimally invasive approach for spinal fusion? I've found a neurosurgeon here in Pittsburgh who does it. Do a google.....interesting.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read. I hope to get some valuable input from you all....people who have "been there and done that!"

Linda
doublehippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote