Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFencer View Post
Is it normal to sleep so much?
Hi SD,

"Normal" for whom? An average healthy person? Someone with clinical depression? Someone taking the same meds as you are? Someone with your exact medical history & experiences (cuz there's only one)? What's "normal"?

See where this is going?

I'd be (and am) more concerned about the depression than the sleeping. Are you sleeping through the night? For how long, and is it quality sleep?

Let me put it another way.... (and I'm not trying to "one-up" you or anything - just citing a couple examples....) I use a cpap because of apnea. I'm also an intractable pain patient, and I seldom get more than 3 hours of sleep at a time, so I often get 3 hrs at night and 3 hrs sometime during the day if/when I can. Sometimes I get less, and on occasion, none at all for up to 3 days at a crack. My wife uses a cpap because of snoring (we're talking world class snoring here!), she has fibromyalgia, and works fulltime. She can get 8... 9... 10... 12 hrs. of sleep a nite, and still fall asleep as soon as she gets home from work until it's bedtime, and still be tired the next morning.

So what's "normal"? Sleep til you're done, and see what can be done about the depression. Do what you can (what's within your control) and ask for help for what isn't - from folks here, your support network, doctors.... but DO!

Hang in there,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote