Thread: Tens unit
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi snookie12303,

That's good that you found something that helps, even temporarily; I think that suggests longer duration relief is possible and worthwhile pursuing.

However, a TENS unit is not the same as a massage unit, though they can both be set to cause what feels like a buzzing sensation. A vibrator does just that - it physically vibrates. A TENS unit sends electrical current through the body, which can have different effects depending on the frequency, pulse width, and intensity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TENS

Trying a TENS unit most likely wouldn't be deleterious, and could even be therapeutic, but the two aren't the same (but if it works, who cares, right? )

I have a unit that I've used with mixed results for different pain issues. I haven't had any luck using it for PN, but I've found other things that work very well - enough that I'm not motivated to keep experimenting with the TENS (for PN). Others may have had better results.

It's certainly worth asking your PT about, and even trying if s/he is willing to hook you up and find the right spots and settings (both critical for success).

Hope it works for you!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
snookie12303 (03-09-2011)