View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Lightbulb That's an outstanding point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehippy View Post
Doc:

You're right. I have to give one or the other of them a try without focusing on the "what ifs?" I'll go with the Neurontin. Who knows...I may get significant pain relief on a low dose. No way to know unless I try.
Doctors usually prescribe dosages based on guidelines provided by pharmaceutical companies. What possible reason could they have for guestimating on the high side?

We're often admonished that more is not necessarily better, and can even be harmful. Wouldn't a corollary of that be "less is more" or at least "start with less" - that's what titration is all about.

Of course that doesn't apply to everything. Not taking enough antibiotics to inhibit an infection could be catastrophic/fatal. But I don't think it ever hurts to ask a doctor if you can start on a lower dose of something, and increase if/when necessary. They insist on it with analgesics (for good reason) but hand out that 300 mg of gabby without even considering less may do the trick. (Voice of experience here )

Talk about your double-edged swords!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote