View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic_Human View Post
This issue is very upsetting to me personally and in itself scares me very much.

I am struggling and have been since 2004, Chronic Pain that already is so difficult for others who are not experiencing chronic pain and in my experience often am or feel very sterotyped or the media prints such articles and adds to the existing stuggle for those who do take the narcotic medications as prescribed and as a last resort when unable to have any type of corrective surgery.

I am prescribed Methadone, Oxycodone HCL, MS Contin (time released brand of Morphine Sulfate), and take on a daily basis as my only option to be relieved of cronic pain, yet still be experiencing pain with the three, I have not achieved euphoria from any of these medications, and still I face the 'look' from some who giggle and snicker indicating I am surely high as a kite at all times, and battle to remain independant living and pray to god that truth will be with those who have as I a genuine need for these medications that they not be taken off market or denied or discontinued due to 'recreational users' and the media placing the unknown in such situations.
What's important not to lose sight of is that any narcotic taken for any good purpose always has the potential of turning around and biting us in the butt.

Look at the warning on combining methadone with Xanax. How many of us are on benzodiazepines such as Xanax for shooting pain? I know I take 4 of the 0.5 mg. tablets a day. And sometimes with a lot of everything that's going through me (including Oxycontin) I can be lying down and suddenly feel startled as my body has to effortfully find its next breath.

I don't deny that this stuff is useful for the treatment of pain. I just don't know that simply because we're taking it for a non-recreational purpose, there's somehow an implied warranty that it couldn't have profound interactions with other medications we may be on. So be careful out there.

Mike

p.s. The literature is full of cases of pain patients succumbing to stuff that was taken with the best on intentions, see, e.g., fentanyl patches. It's like the man said when he titled his book, it wasn't "Whether Bad Things Happen to Good People," but "When . . . ."
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote