View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default greetings and salutations from Old England!

I come to this forum to learn! Having suddenly lost my sense of smell and also any secretion of saliva some six years ago I paid a visit to my GP who referred me for tests. I was found to have joined the ranks of those with Sjogren's syndrome. We have a local group near home so I went to meet other members. Oh horrors! Every last one of them seemed to be suffering from a variety of debilitating symptoms. All were weak somewhere and most were in some sort of pain. Many looked very glum. What was I about to become I wondered? I did not return again. So far, six years on my symptoms have not progressed at all and I have learnt to cope with dry mouth by carrying a bottle of tap water with me - when I remember it which is about once every dozen times I leave my house. I have avoided gloom and despondency preferring laughter and the company of my family and friends. My brain seems to work as badly as it ever did but no worse - I am not yet addled in that department. I can still restore and ride my mopeds without falling off too often and my friends will still talk to me. I am close to six years beyond my allotted span of three score years and ten and face the prospect of my eventual demise with interested expectation. My challenges are minimal.

Betty, my beloved wife will soon be 78. She has been diagnosed with small fibre neuropathy. Powerful pains in feet and leg and loss of balance afflict her. She is not diabetic and does not have sjogrens or other like condition. Loss of balance caused a fall downstairs recently which resulted in severe pain in neck and shoulders and a nasty hole in our financial resources when we forthwith installed a new stairlift after the horse had bolted so to speak. We have found it very useful in carrying the vacuum cleaner as well as Betty - not simultaneously of course. Betty is wary of painkillers as she dislikes the constipatory effects which ensue from their use. We look forward to exploring this site for information and advice in due course. I should say that Betty is a very trim 9 stone, has an excellent figure and visits a local gymnasium once weekly for a couple of hours. She was a nursing sister for many years up to retirement at age 72. She shares my enjoyment of caravanning and bridge - but not the mopeds!
beckyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote