View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think in your case a VEEG would be ideal so they can watch to see if you're having Nocturnal Seizures and try to trigger seizures all under the supervision of a trained staff.

While it may be a burden, for the time being I'd suggest writing down what you did during the day and even before bed. Then before you go to sleep, write down the time you went to sleep and if you felt anything abnormal. Even if your big toe was numb, write it down.

When you wake up, write down how you feel as well. Basically, you should journal your days, keep the notebook where you can see it. Like if you have a nightstand or something nearby. Try to stay on a schedule, such as wake up and write down how you felt when you woke up. When finished, put the notebook on your pillow so you won't forget to update it before bed.

You will come to learn that with most AED's you will take a bit of time to adjust to them. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they will have a 'lab rat' phase with you, we normally call it that because our doctors try out lots of seizure medication on us, like we're lab rats!

It has taken me from 2 weeks up to 3 months to adjust to new meds. I'd have mood swings, dizziness (vertigo like feelings), nausea, short term memory loss, and more. I've had my hair fall out, too. The medication side effects have sometimes made me question if I'd rather have a seizure over the side effects.

Keppra, I believe, is the one that's more friendly to your vital organs and doesn't have any other medications it doesn't mingle well with. For example, some AED's cannot be mxied with other medications, even simple meds like OTC cold medicine. The downside, is Keppra (also known as Kepprage) can cause the most unholy mood swings. I was very tired, and very, very moody when I took Keppra.

The medicine side effects seem to vary by person. What works well for me doesn't work at all for someone else. That's how we all end up as rats till they find out what works.

With your 'enhanced' sense of smell, are you positive you're sense of smell has increased or that you may be smelling something that isn't there. Julie is more familiar with these types of seizures, so she can probably go into better detail than I can. But if you're smelling, say, flowers and are nowhere near one - you should write that down, also.

Sorry for babbling, I've had a lot of coffee and hardly any sleep.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote