View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member

Charlie, DBS saved my life. However, there are downsides. As you said, no more body MRI's to help discover other problems that may or may not be related to Parkinson's, such as torn rotator cuffs, or any other soft tissue damage. There is a risk the battery may unexpectedly stop and the patient will become seriously ill without associating his/her worse symptoms with DBS.

People who choose not to have DBS at any time should be allowed to make the choice without being pushed by those who were fortunate enough to find it helpful. I have read many posts by persons who were not helped by DBS. It is still a risky procedure and patients need to be given space to decide if it is the right procedure to try. The information is helpful and may help someone with their decision.

This is an exciting time to keep up with the research of the brain and how it works. More and more research is beginning to emerge painting a more accurate map of the effect of different toxins, proteins, mutations, and how they affect all the body, not just movement related disorders.

If I were a recently diagnosed patient, I probably would not choose to have DBS surgery. Although they say it is reverseable, they only refer to turning it on or off. The DBS itself would not be removed. It's very prescence in the body could prevent the patient from being involved in research projects that could present a permanent cure.

Love,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote