View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default You guys keep me going....

I wanted to say that if I didn't hear of all these experiences, I would be pretty despondent right now. I have never had one doctor recommend exercise...all because there is not official 'evidence' that it helps us heal and/or slow progression. Neurology is so mired in traditional thinking. We know our condition is degenerative and for the longest time it was thought that as adults we do not grow new neurons; that was proven false in the late 80's in two key pivotal studies. I know that we'll never grow as many neurons as we need to catch up and take over this disease, but we do generate new neurons and exercise, I have read, is one of the key ways this happens. How else can we explain these amazing results.

It's like our doctors do not want us to even try and help ourselves. I approached my neuro with info on different diets that might be beneficial to us and I receive nothing positive or very little in response; I know that
it will not alter my disease, but even just a cursory "it can't hurt" would be something. I am not asking him to manage a diet for me, but just a few words of encouragement or even some tips or something positive for a change. I left feeling so deflated and defeated.

After hearing again from Nan (let me know when you'll be in MI again, please) and re-reading Imark's results, I just figured "enough". I was concerned about getting the right kind of bike, obsessing about RPMs,, when the important thing for us all is that we get moving and keep moving.

Out came the dusty, encased in plastic Bollywood Booty DVD; this is indeed an unopened purchase made last year. I am most certain that I did not hit the sweet zone that correlates to 80-90 rpm, but I did have a lot of fun and was challenged enough by the choreography to boogy again the next evening. I do notice that hours later I don't stiffen as much and my symptoms are milder as meds wear off; this may be placebo effect, but for now just the difference in how I feel is enough to keep me hooked.

Thank you for the inspiration and the swift kick I needed to set me on the right course.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (03-10-2011), natnat (11-19-2014)