View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
Well I had another week of work as a teacher.(I worked the week of 2/14 then a week off and then this week of work). I find that I am totally exhausted, achy and at times in significant pain. I have been going to PT 3x a week for 2 weeks now. From here on in, I will go 2x a week. I am hoping that the pain and symptoms that I am feeling is just from the recovery, poor posture (I'm trying to be good) or doing too much. I get pain and tightness on the right side of my neck, pain down my cervical spine from the base of my neck to the area between my shoulders, burning from shoulder to shoulder and major knots in my shoulder blade area. I also get intermittent numbness along with coldness in my left hand and fingers and heaviness in my left arm. I go back to the OSS on 3/14 for my 3 month visit. Hoping to see some bone growth this time. I have all of this written down in the journal that I have kept since the surgery. (The journal of concerns, questions, symptoms and changes is something that I have kept since coming home from the surgery. I highly recommend it since I found my memory is shot. I bring this journal with me to any appointment so that I can keep the answers to all my questions in the same spot.)

Would love to hear if others are having similar situations.
12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7
DDD, severe arthritis
2/14 back to work as a teacher
at 6 week check no bone growth
bone stimulator 4 hours a day
PT as of 2/21
still concerned

Hi,
Good Luck with your recovery. I had an ACDF of my C5 C6,, 1 year and 1 month ago. I was in the hospital 2 days, I was not ready to go home after only 24 hours. Its been a lonng road for me. Sorry to say , it did not make me better but worse, I have many of the conditions now that the Bunz, person on here has with the double crush, thoracic outlet, bilateral carpal tunnel, lateral epincondylitis, all of which developed after that blasted ACDF surgery.. I forgot ongoing shoulder pain, upper back and neck pain. Also diagnaosed with RDS. Im not sure if that one is totally on the mark though. Do the therapy or whatever they recommend. They did a post op MRI of me 3 to 4 mos. after the surgery. He did xray at a month post op. I was fused by 3 mos. he said. I only used a soft collar neck brace as needed, for comfort. As it was only a single level for me. The first 2 to 3 months are not pleasant. I would not want that surgery again, ever. To help with the swallowing, as i always felt like i swallowed a golf ball, i sucked on butterscoth disc candies. By the 5 th month i was able to swallow without have the feeling like u swallowed a golf ball. That was an awful feeling. For me, my disc level just under the fusion could not handle the weight of the titanium plate and screw, and i now have disc deformity at that level as well as osteophyte formaion. I have osteophyte formation at the c5, c6, level, which was supposed to be fixed by the fusion. Also there is till formainal narrowing. The c3,c4 levels now have osteophyte formation, causing central canal stenosis.

I hope u do not have these problems and that u heal and your other vertebrae are good. Writing everything down in a journal is a good idea. They had my on Dilaudid, Valium, and a muscle relaxant like Flexeril post op, and my memory was foggy to say the least. Good luck! Martina
martina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote