View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1 View Post
I had the arm pain, with numbness in the last two fingers in my right hand, severe arm, traps, shoulder and neck pain before surgery. The finger numbness and tingling is gone. My hand is feeling better. The cause for my surgery was a combination of DDD, and repetitive injury due to 20 years of computer work as a graphic designer. All issues were supposedly from c spine issues. I had C5, C6, & C7 fused. They did use a halo during surgery, so I have wondered if it was because of them pulling my shoulder away from the halo to open disc space that could have caused some of the shoulder pain.

Just wondering if I'm recovering at a pace that is normal? I still take oxycontin everyday along with percs for breakthrough pain. I've started using cloranzepam to help with the spasms and get me to relax when I feel like the collar is choking me, and that does help a bit.

Just seems like it's taking such a long time to feel better and get my strength back.
Hello Cathie, Please give yourself time to heal, it will not happen over night, you just had major neck surgery there has to be some pain associated with it. Your Dr just opened up the front of your neck and moved everything out of the way in order to fuse your C5/6 and C6/7 discs with donor bone, titanium plate and 6 screws. This is very tramatic to the body, this was MAJOR surgery and has a recovery period of at least 3 months hence the collar and trust me the collar is very important to wear at all times even in the shower, you do not want your neck moving yet. It will take at least a month for your body to start feeling better(surgery pain, and the anesthesia takes at least a month to get out of your system yes it can cause issues). Rest and do not worry about new pain, new symptoms or still taking pain pills use them to stay on top of the pain, I had to use liquid morphine for the first month. Sleep and rest is the best thing with the healing process, laying there worried about new issues and getting stressed out is not healthy. Take the time to heal with positive thoughts and enjoy your hubby assisting you, again you just had major surgery, give it time you will feel better soon.
Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote