View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I also think it's important to bear in mind--

--exactly which antioxidants were being studied.

Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant. But it is also well-known to increase platelet agreegation time and to promote the bleeding response. As such, large doses of it might not be a good idea in certain populations vulnerable to bleeding disorders; it would likely increase their mortality, say, if they hemmoraged from accident.

Vitamin A also has deleterious effects in very large doses, which have been alluded to in the previous posts.

However, did these studies talk about other antioxidant classes, from phytochemicals in colorful fruits and vegetables to those in green teas? I find it much harder to assume that consuming these in a natural form would increase mortality--they would be much more likely to reduce it. And I don't think that most people out there consuming antioxidants are limiting their choices to those mentioned here. Many larger level studies need to be done, involving many other substances.

I, too, wonder, who paid for this study. (The Synthetic Hormone Pharmaceutical Board?)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote