View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
Hi Laura, First, I may be in Michigan in April. I'll let you know as my plans progress.

Your post gave me lots of food for thought. My husband and I talked it over at great length last night. He had a powerful insight which I would like to share with you. One of the issues that he notices most often is the change in my local anxiety since I've had Parkinson's. Where is I used to exhibit normal concerns about new issues, since having Parkinson's my level of anxiety is sometimes off the charts. At one point I even had a terrifying panic attack, something which has never happened to me before, and I hope never happens again.

Why the anxiety? I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, so these are just my personal thoughts. As a teacher, grades seven through the University, I noticed the same problem exhibited in all ages of students. The fear of failure. As long as they didn't try to do their best, they could always tell themselves that if they did try they knew they would be successful. But there was always a fear in the back of their minds that came out kind of like this: what if I try my best and I'm not successful? That fear and anxiety caused many students to operate far below their potential. And what defined success? Were they looking for outside approval from the teacher or from their classmates or were they looking for an internal sense of satisfaction at a job well done? This issue came up again last year during RAGBRAI. One of the participants was an early onset PD patient named Andy. Andy was diagnosed with PD at age 31. Unfortunately, he argued had asthma and Crohn's disease. And he was only able to ride a recumbent tricycle, not an upright bike or a tandem. He said his goal, his measure of success, as riding the entire 450 miles across Iowa. Before the ride he told himself that anything less than that would be failure. One day on a ride it was pouring rain and very cold. Writing about a foot above the pavement, and he was not only being soaked by the rain but he was picking up the splashes from all the other riders. He didn't have a jacket and at one point he realized he was getting hypothermic. He called for the SAG wagon, which meant he didn't complete the entire 450 miles across Iowa on his bike. We talked about it later and he realized that his measure of success was quite wrong. The fact that he had the courage to try was the most important measure of success, not biking every mile across Iowa.

There have to be thousands of people with Parkinson's who are afraid to try cycling because they are afraid it may not work for them. Getting over the anxiety is 90% of the battle. Although dancing, singing, swimming and other activities may help people with Parkinson's, the only activity that has been proven through research to make a difference is cycling. You don't have to have the best and latest bike. You need to have a cadence monitor on your bike to keep within 80-90 RPMs, and you need a heart rate monitor to make sure you stay within 60 to 85% of your maximum heart rate. Then you need to define success as taking small steps toward a larger goal. It's scary. But I know you can do it.
the only cycling research that has been published is a very small study by jay roberts, 5 subjects in treatment group? when will the results from his 2nd study be published?

Background. Animal studies indicate forced exercise (FE) improves overall motor function in Parkinsonian rodents. Global improvements
in motor function following voluntary exercise (VE) are not widely reported in human Parkinson’s disease (PD) patients. Objective.
The aim of this study was to compare the effects of VE and FE on PD symptoms, motor function, and bimanual dexterity. Methods. Ten
patients with mild to moderate PD were randomly assigned to complete 8 weeks of FE or VE. With the assistance of a trainer, patients
in the FE group pedaled at a rate 30% greater than their preferred voluntary rate, whereas patients in the VE group pedaled at their preferred
rate. Aerobic intensity for both groups was identical, 60% to 80% of their individualized training heart rate. Results. Aerobic fitness
improved for both groups. Following FE, Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) motor scores improved 35%, whereas
patients completing VE did not exhibit any improvement. The control and coordination of grasping forces during the performance of a
functional bimanual dexterity task improved significantly for patients in the FE group, whereas no changes in motor performance were
observed following VE. Improvements in clinical measures of rigidity and bradykinesia and biomechanical measures of bimanual dexterity
were maintained 4 weeks after FE cessation. Conclusions. Aerobic fitness can be improved in PD patients following both VE and FE
interventions. However, only FE results in significant improvements in motor function and bimanual dexterity. Biomechanical data indicate
that FE leads to a shift in motor control strategy, from feedback to a greater reliance on feedforward processes, which suggests FE
may be altering central motor control processes.
Key Words: Parkinson’s disease; Exercise; Manual dexterity; Motor control; Grasping forces; Movement disorder

Ten patients with idiopathic PD (8 men and 2 women; age
61.2 ± 6.0 years, Table 1) were randomly assigned to complete
an 8-week FE or VE exercise intervention. Following the
8-week intervention, patients were instructed to resume their
pre-enrollment activity levels; follow-up patient interviews
indicated compliance with this request. Patients in the FE
group exercised with a trainer on a stationary tandem bicycle
(Figure 1a), whereas the VE group exercised on a stationary
single bicycle (Schoberer Rad Meßtechnik [SRM]). The work
performed by the patient and the trainer on the tandem bicycle
was measured independently with 2 commercially available
power meters (SRM PowerMeter; Jülich, Germany).
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote