View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

When a person has a hiatal hernia...the stomach can move up into the chest and squeeze things. This feels awful generally and is alarming. It often moves back at some point. The pressure can push any food in the stomach into the esophagus as well, so swallowing something will meet with resistance.

Do you take drugs for GERD or reflux? If so for how long?

If you do and have done so for a while, I'd suggest B12 tests to see if you are low. Those drugs block absorption of B12 and when that gets low, you get PN symptoms.

A full GI work up may be needed... including a scope of the stomach.

One thing that may help you is a gas medication to help you move air along properly. Gas-X is the most common brand, but anything with simethicone in it may help. Some find Gaviscon even better, as it coats the esophagus lining.
Avoid gassy foods, like cabbage, some fruits, and carbonated drinks.

I have a severe hiatal hernia found about 20 yrs ago. I manage it without medication now, with diet control, and conservative eating. One thing NOT to do is bend over alot after a meal. (no gardening for me at those times!). That will put pressure on everything in the stomach.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote